Summary and Key Facts
Buteyko in Summary
The Buteyko Institute Method teaches people to correct dysfunctional breathing and thereby normalise their breathing pattern. This results in immediate improvement in asthma, sleep apnoea, snoring, emphysema, COAD, COPD, sinusitis, hay fever, rhinitis, blocked nose, allergies, bronchitis, bronchiectasis, panic and anxiety conditions, and many other respiratory problems.
Following the correction of dysfunctional breathing, people report the following:
- reduction in asthma symptoms & in the need for reliever medication
- unblocking of the nose and sinuses
- restoration of nasal breathing
- reduction or elimination of snoring and apnoea
- reduction in mucus production and allergic rhinitis and sinusitis
- change in tongue position and occlusion
- stability to orthodontic work
- decrease in size of tonsils adenoids and polyps
- increased energy levels
- enhanced capacity for exercise and improved recovery rate
Health Management by the Buteyko Institute Method (BIM) of Breathing Retraining
The Buteyko Institute Method (BIM) is a system of breathing retraining which delivers immediate and sustained improvement for people with asthma, as well as a reduction in apnoeas and snoring. It is based on the work of Professor Buteyko from Russia, and is taught by BIM Practitioners accredited by the Buteyko Institute of Breathing and Health (BIBH). The significant features of the BIM are that it is:
- Effective – over 90% of course participants come off all asthma reliever medications within one week (medical trial results published in MJA Dec 1998)
- Safe – the BIBH follows international best practice asthma medication guidelines
- Scientifically based – based on the standard medical principles of respiration, the normalisation of breathing and the Bohr Effect
- Significant reduction in, or elimination of asthma reliever and preventer medications (the reduction of preventer medication is done in consultation with the client’s medical practitioner)
- Significant reduction in, or elimination of asthma symptoms and attacks and also the relief of other respiratory disorders
- Improved sleep patterns including reduction or elimination of apnoeas and snoring
- Increased stamina and energy levels, better work performance, and improved management of the symptoms of stress.
Who does the Buteyko Institute Method Help?
The BIM is suitable for children from 3 years of age and adults of any age. It is effective for people with all types and degrees of severity of asthma and sleep disorders, as well as people with other respiratory disorders such as emphysema, COAD, COPD, sinusitis, hay fever, rhinitis, blocked nose, allergies, bronchitis, bronchiectasis, panic and anxiety conditions.
The Personal Cost of Breathing Disorders
Every year many people with asthma and sleep disorders suffer respiratory infections, sore throats, physical incapacity, fatigue, time off work or school with a poor quality of life, ongoing financial expense and a deteriorating condition. Learning the BIM provides people with the knowledge and skills to get back their health and their life.
How do you learn the Buteyko Institute Method?
The Buteyko Institute Method is taught in courses consisting of five sessions of ninety minutes. Clients are taught how to retrain their breathing to enable them to breathe correctly when sleeping, exercising, speaking, eating, and performing all daily activities. Improvement occurs within the first 24 hours.
About the Buteyko Institute of Breathing and Health
The Buteyko Institute of Breathing and Health Inc. (BIBH) is the professional body representing the BIM and its Practitioners throughout the world. It is a not for profit organisation committed to improving health by correcting asthma and other breathing related disorders through research, development, promotion and application of the BIM. The BIBH currently has over fifty members in twelve countries around the world and has developed standards for both the teaching of the BIM to clients, and for the training of new BIM Practitioners.